Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bacon Wrapped Fillet Mignon with Grilled Vege and Carrot and Pepper Slaw


So, I love me some grilled red meat so when I saw that the fillets were on sale at the market, I snatched a few up. I wrapped them in bacon for some added fat and flavor and served them with a side of grilled vegetables: eggplant (if you don't know, grilled eggplant is amazing), squash, and onion. To season the vege simply toss in a bag with some high heat oil (think coconut or walnut or grapeseed oils) and a dash of salt or seasoned salt, fresh ground pepper, fresh smashed cloves of garlic, Italian seasonings and some crushed red pepper flakes. Cook to your desired texture, we like our about 1/2-3/4 cooked so they still retain a bit of a crunch! Also good if you toss some whole baby mushrooms in too, but our market was out of 'shrooms. I've even tossed broccoli florets and / or asparagus spears in, equally good. For some additional high density carbs, say post-workout try tossing in a few thinly sliced sweet potatoes, yams, jicama, or acorn squash.

I also made a large salad that included, amongst the mixed greens, chopped walnuts, flaxseeds, fresh blueberries, halved grapes, 1/4 chopped fresh Georgia peach, and cucumber. Dress with olive oil and it's quite nice!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment