Monday, July 18, 2011

Homemade Sweet Potato Crisps

Alrighty, I've been craving some chips/crisps lately and I know there are some for sale that I could probably choke back ;-) such as plantain chips, vege chips, etc. I also know that the ones you can buy in the store are cooked in bad oils. For my birthday my mother-in-law got me a mandolin, which I've never used before, but am really liking. I decided to make some sweet potato crisps, really just to see if I could.

Using the thinnest setting on the mandolin, which is pretty dog gone thin if you ask me, I sliced 1 sweet potato. I then tossed the slices in a mixture of coconut oil (1tbsp), sea salt, ground pepper, and paprika. I tried to get them all coated, but it was pretty useless. I then placed the slices 1 deep into my food dehydrator for about 4-5 hours. The crisps came out crispy and ready for dipping. It was so easy that I decided to make cinnamon apple chips today. Turns out apples have a lot more moisture in them so they are taking longer, but sample taste test an hour ago suggests they are going to be a big hit!

Try this and add these as a nice side to a paleo sandwich, salad topping, etc.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete