Saturday, July 9, 2011

Coconut Flour Banana Pancakes with Fresh wild blackberry smash topping

We love breakfast in our house. It might actually be one of our favorite meals of the day. After a long (well not that long we DO have a 9 month old) sleep we wake up ready for some grub. Lately, I've been honing my coconut flour pancake recipe, but actually it's really really easy to make. Here goes:

Heat a griddle. No grease.
Then, in a bowl mix 2 eggs, a healthy dash of cinnamon, 1/2 smashed banana (I just fork smash mine so there are some bigger bits of banana in the final product), a pinch (but make it a good one) of dried/dessicated unsweetened coconut (use sweetened if you prefer), and 1.5 tbsp of coconut flour. Mix until it begins to thicken and then let sit for about 1-5 minutes. The longer you let it sit the thicker and more "doughy" it will get, which will make less of a pancake and more of a griddled muffin(ish) thingy. Then pour spoonfuls onto the griddle. About 2-3 minutes per side. I top mine with fresh fruit smash. We happen to have some wild fresh picked blackberries and so that's what we've been using this week. I've used banana, raspberry, strawberry, or just gone plain in the past.

Variations of the pancake. One morning I was mixing the ingredients for these and realized that we only had one banana, one green banana...Ew! So I started thinking about what else I could use: APPLESAUCE. But, alas, we had none. But we do have a nuclear holocaust supply of baby foods. So I tried that. First I tried apples and bananas. Delicious. Then I tried pears and raspberries. Delicious. Sweet potato. Delicious. Squash. Delicious. Pumpkin. I think you see where this is going. I use only organic baby foods that consist of just crushed fruit and a touch of juice. It adds a very nice variation to an otherwise pretty boring dish.

I hope you try and enjoy these!

2 comments:

  1. This may be the most unusual use of baby food I've seen! Way to improvise!! And thanks for sharing this on Chowstalker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty, my pleasure. Yeah we try not to waste around here and baby food is very conveniently already mashed. So when making breakfast on a busy morning when you have to get ready for work, get a little one ready for school, etc - already mashed makes a big difference :-)

    ReplyDelete