Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Coconut flour 2-layered cake


Alrighty, this is my second attempt at something resembling a cake. I tried a cake last year for the July birthday season in the gym using almond flour, but this has taken to a whole new level: 2-layered (1 chocolate, 1 vanilla-almond) coconut flour cake with greek yogurt frosting and strawberries and munch topping. The reason I tried a 2-layer cake, instead of, say a 3, 4, or 5 layer cake should be obvious: I was nervous. Turns out I was right to do so because the cakes did not turn out completely flat as I'd hoped and I don't have the appropriate kitchen tools to cut cake (think those fancy cake shows on the food network!)

I was going to take pics as I went, but again I did not anticipate the challenge of that. And, I didn't want to smudge up my camera so much while working.

Indgredients:
Cake:
9 eggs, separated,
1/2-3/4 cup coconut flour
2 very ripe, or over ripe bananas
almond extract
stevia
coconut oil
honey
cinnamon
about 6 strawberries

Frosting:
greek yogurt
stevia
honey
coconut flour, just a teaspoon or two
3 strawberries and some home made munch

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350ºF
1. Add 2 packets of stevia and a dash of cinnamon to the egg whites and whisk or mix until thick and fluffy
2. Mix the egg yolks with the 2 bananas, about 2-4 tbsp honey (adjust for sweetness preference), 2-4 packets of stevia, and 2 tbsp coconut oil.
3. Mix together the whites and the yolk mixture and add 1.5 teaspoon of baking powder, a dash of sea salt (or regular salt), and the coconut flour. Mix until a smooth batter
4. Separate the batter into two bowls.
5. In one bowl add 1-2 (or more) tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and in the other add 1-2 teaspoons of almond extract. Mix both and then pour each into a 9 inch round cake pan.
6. Bake both cakes, which should be about equal thickness, not in my case because I spilled some of the white cake batter :-( for about 25-30 minutes or until a knife stuck in the center comes out relatively clean.
7. Allow cakes to cool.
8. While the cakes are cooking combine 24 oz of plain greek yogurt with 2-4 stevia packets, a little honey and 1-2 tbsp of coconut flour. Mix well.
9. Refrigerate the frosting so it thickens a bit.
10. Once the cakes have cool frost the top of one of the two cakes and lay sliced strawberries into the icing. Then put the other cake on top. Ice the entire cake. Top with fresh cut strawberries and crushed munch. Refrigerate.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking for a Paleo cake recipe for my fiance's grooms cake at my wedding!! I may try this one, unless you have any other suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coconut recipes!. This looks so good!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally kill fat by consuming Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete