Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fossil Fuel Paleo Cookies...

Dark Chocolate Chunk Macadamia Nut Paleo Cookies

Kind of a slow Sunday afternoon, so I figured I'd experiment a bit and try and make come homemade Paleo cookies. I get adverts and messages all the time from people on facebook (on in my email) about buying their Paleo cookies and muffins. Since I already make my own muffins, I thought why not try to make my own cookies. I must admit, it turned out pretty well....
Here's what you need: nuts. Lots of nuts. Honey, the tiniest dash of salt, baking powder and aluminum free baking soda. 

Here's what to do: Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Make some nut meal/flour. I use a Magic Bullet to make homemade nut flour, but you could also go spend your whole pay check and buy some at the health food store. If you decide to make your own, it's way simple: toss a handful of almonds into the Bullet with some cinnamon. Grind away until a fine texture. Do the same thing with a few pecan and walnuts. Toss your flour into a large mixing bowl. Now with a knife, coarsely chop up some nuts: I used the same three as listed above (but I'd strongly recommend adding some coconut: some unsweetened coconut flakes would have sealed the culinary deal on these cookies, but the Kroger near my house has been out for Coconut for about 3-4 weeks...I must complain!) Now add some oil to the nut-nut flour mix. I used about 1 teaspoon flaxseed oil and 1 tbs walnut oil. Mix well. Add some honey: the more you add the sweeter it will be. 

In another smaller bowl, mix together the tiniest dash of salt, ~1/8 tsp of baking soda, and ~1/8 tsp baking powder with about a 1/2 cup-3/4 cup finely ground almond flour. 

Whip 2 egg whites until they are pretty stiff. You are going to mix them in, so it's not necessary that they be super duper stiff. 

Mix your whipped egg whites into the bowl with the oiled nuts & flour. Add the dry ingredients. Mix well. It should be "batter like" so that you can place nice little scoops of the "cookie batter" on a greased cookie tin. I greased my cookie tin with walnut oil and I cooked them for 30 minutes at 350. Right before I put them in the oven I had the idea of making them like choco-chip cookies. I cut up some dark chocolate (>75% cacao) chunks and just placed them on the top of each cookie next to a macadamia nut. 

I've taste tested these on my wife, my mother-in-law and myself - the pass!

Enjoy. I bet they'd be great dipped in some coconut milk, with a smoothie, or a homemade Paleo frappuccino!

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by eating coconut fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete